Become an Adoption Ambassador
Adoption Ambassadors are important to the improving the experience of those who adopt animals from the Humane Society of Missouri. By providing outstanding customer service, Adoption Ambassadors help promote adoption at our shelters and ensure individuals have the best experience possible at the Humane Society of Missouri. The purpose of Adoption Ambassadors is to provide outstanding customer service to all who enter one of our companion animal shelters.
Include the following but may include other responsibilities as assigned.
- Greets individuals entering the shelter and ask if they need assistance.
- Explains the adoption process including required paperwork to be completed, adoption fees and expected length of time to complete an adoption.
- Has initial discussion with potential adopters and provide handouts or information based on discussion.
- Provides feedback (written and/or oral) to Adoption Counselors regarding preliminary discussion with the adopter.
- Walks throughout the Adoption Center to answer questions for the public.
- Highlights HSMO recommended products, food and training methods to adopters and potential adopters.
- Makes follow up calls to recent adopters to answer questions or provide resources if there are issues with their new pet.
- Uses the appropriate scheduling methods to sign up for volunteer shifts.
- If unable to show up for an assigned shift, finds a replacement Adoption Ambassador.
- Follows all HSMO and departmental safety policies and procedures.
- Maintains all confidentiality requirements including not disclosing information on individual animals and person(s) or photographs of any of these.
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- Able to lift up to 25 lbs.
- Able to stand and walk unaided for extended periods of time.
- Average sense of vision, hearing, smell and speech.
- Able to tolerate strong and unpleasant odors.
- Able to tolerate loud and unexpected noises.
Commitment and Availability
Adoption Ambassadors must be available for at least two 3-hour shifts per month.
Primarily, this role is looking for volunteers on evenings and weekend hours, and over summer.
The work environment characteristics described below are representative of those a volunteer may encounter while performing the essential responsibilities of this opportunity.
- Well lit adoption center and sheltering facilities.
- State of the art animal caging
- Moderate to loud noise level.
- Frequently a fast paced and high stress environment.
- Exposure to dander and allergens found on animals.
- Exposure to powerful smells including cleaning agents.
- Assisting with adoptions can be physically, mentally and emotionally taxing.
- Volunteers are expected to provide their own transportation to and from adoption centers.
- Shelter volunteers are required the pay a one-time volunteer fee of $20 to cover the costs of administrative processing, training materials, volunteer t-shirt and other costs that will allow more resources to go directly to our animals.
- Attend a Volunteer Open House – Open Houses are scheduled 1-2 times a month & fill up quickly! Ready to get signed up? Submit your volunteer fee now »
How to Become a Volunteer
First step? Learn about HSMO and our volunteer program by submitting your volunteer fee to attend a Volunteer Open House - Open Houses are scheduled 1-2 times a month and fill up quickly! Submit your volunteer fee now »
If you have any questions, please contact us at 314.951.1577 or firstname.lastname@example.org